As any yearbook adviser will likely concur, one of the most beautiful sights on the internet is the celebratory confetti that fills your screen when you hit “print ready.” Now that summer break is underway and your yearbook has gone to print, it’s time to indulge in well-deserved relaxation. Whether you’re opting for a tropical vacation or a cozy staycation, the Treering team has curated a selection of delightful beach reads and captivating podcasts to enhance your leisure time.
Beach Reads to Dive Into
If you’re an avid reader with a never-ending list of books to conquer, now is the perfect time to get caught up in a good read. Here are a few to add to your shortlist:
- One Italian Summer by Rebecca Searle (recommended by Chrissy K., Customer Success Manager): A 30-year-old married woman from Los Angeles, finding herself adrift after her mother’s death, travels to Italy on a long-awaited vacation they had planned to take together. (Kirkus Reviews)
- Trust by Hernan Diaz (recommended by Bobby H., Head of Growth): A riveting novel set in a bygone America that explores family, wealth, and ambition through linked narratives rendered in different literary styles, a complex examination of love and power in a country where capitalism is king. (The Pulitzer Prizes)
- Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell (recommended by Ayesha M., Sales Development Representative): Ten years after her teenage daughter disappears, a woman crosses paths with a charming single father whose young child feels eerily familiar… (Greenwich Library)
- The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (recommended by George K., Head of Product): In 1949, four Chinese women, recent immigrants to San Francisco, begin meeting to eat dim sum, play mahjong, and talk. United in shared unspeakable loss and hope, they call themselves the Joy Luck Club. Rather than sink into tragedy, they gather to raise their spirits and money. (Amazon)
If you prefer to relax with headphones by the pool, here are some podcast recommendations that are sure to pique your interest:
- Gee Thanks. Just Bought It! hosted by Caroline Moss (recommended by Megan P., Marketing Manager): Ever bought something you loved SO much that you couldn’t stop telling everyone about it? Los Angeles-based writer and host Caroline Moss invites interesting, smart, and savvy guests to evangelize their favorite buys in the hopes of helping you become a smarter and more informed shopper.
- The Way I Heard It, hosted by Mike Rowe (recommended by Erin M., Sales Development Representative): From pop culture to politics, history to Hollywood, each mystery is a true-ish tale about someone you know, filled with facts that you don’t. Delivered with Mike’s signature blend of charm, wit, and ingenuity, these stories are part of a larger mosaic—full of surprising revelations, sharp observations, and intimate, behind-the-scenes moments drawn from Mike’s life and career.
- On Purpose, hosted by Jay Shetty (recommended by Shannon H., Sales Development Representative): Jay Shetty’s purpose is to make wisdom go viral. His podcast brings fascinating conversations with some of the most insightful people in the world straight to viewers worldwide.
- Hey Dude… the 90s Called, hosted by Nickelodeon child stars David Lascher and Christine Taylor from the cult classic show Hey Dude (recommended by Erika Lin P., Marketing Manager): You won’t be Clueless about your favorite shows when the crew from West Beverly and Bayside High, among others, share gossip, coming of age takes, on set challenges, and fan encounters.
Embrace the Vacation Vibes
Whether you prefer turning the pages of a good book or immersing yourself in a fascinating podcast, we hope these suggestions enhance your well-deserved break from yearbook responsibilities. (If you can’t help yourself, check out this Summer Yearbooking blog.)